November 9—12 Austin, TX
4-day Dancemeditation Immersion with Dunya
Th 2–6 ~ Fr & Sa 10–7 ~ Su 10-2
Dunya’s Dancemeditation helps us trust our bodies. We move through the crust of harried surface worries and into our Huge Intelligence. Body speaks to us from the flow of our most Original self, freeing us from habitual patterns, and increasing our awareness of embodied present-ness.
We will take this weekend to savor and explore gentle curvilinear motion, vibration, hand dances, and breathing, rocking and more, side-by-side together. The movement period will be balanced with rest to allow integration. There will time for reflective writing as well as conversation focused on our experience. This year we are adding a day to give us more time to take it deeper.
Join in if you wish revitalization, a deeper relationship with your body, a more sensual, intuitive connection to movement and to breathing, and an experience of the Sufi Way of embodied mysticism. We continue our exploration and healing side by side as a practicing community, deepening and submerging in the edge under the guidance of acclaimed authority, living Sufi master, and meditative leader, Dunya McPherson, Principal Teacher & Director of Dervish Society of America.
Dunya Dianne McPherson, BFA, MA, is an acclaimed authority and meditative leader. Juilliard graduate, Sufi Master, and NEA Choreography Fellow, Dunya’s USA teaching credits include Princeton University, Swarthmore College, New York University, Barnard College, Kripalu Center among others, and internationally the Victorian College of the Arts in Melbourne, Australia, Claudio Naranjo’s SAT Program, and Netherland’s Mystik Festival. Dunya has her MA in writing and is the author of Skin of Glass: Finding Spirit in the Flesh, a memoir about dance as a spiritual path.
Sacred Movement Arts Center, 125 Travis Lane N., Paige, TX 78659
What to Bring:
– mat/blanket to exercise on. We have a full house. Though there are a good number of blankets & mats at the space, if you are driving and can bring your own it will help. Thanks!
– loose comfortable movement clothing
– warm layer for when you rest
– journal & pen
– veil if you have one
– water bottle
– a light lunch
– Dinner: Every evening we will provide a simple Sufi evening repast of soup, salad, and bread after session. Linger and and savor!
Karuna Haber’s beautiful Sacred Movement Arts Studio is located in Paige, TX, 40′ east of Austin. For Houston and points east folks that makes the drive easier.
– If you are coming from out of town, we recommend that you book a local airbnb, and the sooner the better. (It is a holiday weekend and in this good fishing country many local places get booked early.) We will arrange to carpool folks from Bastrop/Paige area accommodations. If you want t share an airbnb, call Karuna who can help you coordinate.
Cost: $350 by October 1st, $450 after
Fee is for workshop and a Simple Sufi evening meals (Thursday — Saturday dinner.) Bring your own light lunch of fruit and nuts. We will provide tea.
Payment, cancellation & tax-dedcution
The payment, administered through Dervish Society of America, is tax-deductible. This fee is nonrefundable. In the event that you are unable to attend, you can still use your payment as a tax deduction. Thank you for supporting the Dervish Society of America (DSA), a nonprofit 501-C3 organization dedicated to the Path of embodied mysticism. DSA provides opportunities for personal development, exploratory inquiry into embodied spirituality, and community connection through practice, service, and performance.